Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Slitscan textures & map generation

I purchased a cheap motorised turntable from China about a month ago.
This was intended to be used for a photogrammetry project but instead became
really useful for a different application.

Slitscan photography or temporal photography is typically used for photo-finish images in eg. the 100m sprint.
There are some examples where it has been used in a different way

This script by Martin Dixon processes a video file and extracts a strip of pixels. These are then stacked together
to form a single image.


I sat a bottle (empty) of beer on the turntable and switched it on. I then set up my
Nikon 3200D to shoot portrait hd video.

The processed file looks like this:



Taken into Photoshop and processed. I needed specular, diffuse, mix and normal maps
to create the final rendered version in 3ds max.



I created a simple studio style lighting setup and rendered using Vray. The model that I mapped it to is a generic bottle. At some point I will recreate an accurate Moretti bottle. This should complete the look.


Observations at this stage: The lighting while recording the footage needs to be more even as some of the colours are not accurate.

The normal map for the glass is a bit on the heavy side. It seems to be suggesting a condensation look.

The camera wasn't aligned correctly when I recorded the footage, and as a result the textures are wonky..

Other than that, I feel this is a pretty successful first attempt at seamless, (semi) automatically generated texturing for cylindrical based objects :)

1 comment:

  1. I've noticed that the scan includes the back of the label when on the far side of the bottle. This is being carried through to the normal map and creating incorrect results.
    To fix this I will fill the bottle with milk (white opaque liquid) or rolled up white paper. I'm not sure what result that will have on the resulting diffuse colour though...

    In addition to the beer bottle I want to try a clear water bottle with graphics on using the same 'milk trick'.

    ReplyDelete